Terms and conditions
Who we are
This service is managed by Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals service.
You should check these terms and conditions regularly. We may update them at any time without notice. If you continue to use this service after the terms and conditions have changed, you are deemed to have agreed to the changes.
Information provided by this service
This service provides information to support your application. We cannot give legal advice on individual cases.
You should answer the questions in the service based on your circumstances, and seek legal advice if you need it.
Sharing and storing data
Laws applying to this service
Your use of this service and any dispute arising from its use will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales, including but not limited to the:
- Computer Misuse Act 1990
- Data Protection Act 1998 (until 25 May 2018)
- Data Protection Act 2018 (from 25 May 2018)
- General Data Protection Regulation
- Mental Capacity Act 2005
How to use this service responsibly
There are risks in using a shared computer (for example, in a library) to access this service. It’s your responsibility to be aware of these risks and to avoid using any computer which may leave your personal information accessible to others. You’re responsible if you choose to leave a computer unprotected while using this service.
You should take your own precautions to ensure that the way you access this service does not expose you to the risk of:
- malicious computer code
- other forms of interference which may damage your computer system
You must not misuse this service by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to this service, the system on which it is stored, or any server, computer or database connected to it. You must not attack this site using a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack.
Entering personally sensitive information
This online service contains several free-text fields in which you may choose to enter information which is personally sensitive.
If you enter information about your:
- sexual orientation or sex life
- racial or ethnic origins
- political opinions
- religious or philosophical beliefs
- trade union membership
- genetic data or biometric data
- health data
You give us your consent to processing this information for the purpose of dealing with your application.
While we make every effort to keep GOV.UK up to date, we don’t provide any guarantees, conditions or warranties that the information will be:
- free from bugs or viruses
We don’t publish advice on GOV.UK. You should get professional or specialist advice before doing anything on the basis of the content.
We’re not liable for any loss or damage that may come from using GOV.UK. This includes:
- any direct, indirect or consequential losses
- any loss or damage caused by civil wrongs (‘tort’, including negligence), breach of contract or otherwise
- the use of GOV.UK and any websites that are linked to or from it
- the inability to use GOV.UK and any websites that are linked to or from it
This applies if the loss or damage was foreseeable, arose in the normal course of things or you advised us that it might happen.
This includes (but isn’t limited to) the loss of your:
- income or revenue
- salary, benefits or other payments
- profits or contracts
- anticipated savings
- goodwill or reputation
- intangible property, including loss, corruption or damage to data or any computer system
- wasted management or office time
We may still be liable for:
- death or personal injury arising from our negligence
- fraudulent misrepresentation
- any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law
Phone: 0300 303 0648
Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 6:00pm. Saturday, 8:00am to 2:00pm.